Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Dream Of Now

When you wake to the dream of now
from night and its other dream
you carry day out of the dark
like a flame.

When spring comes north and flowers
unfold from earth and its even sleep
you lift summer on with your breath
lest it be losst ever so deep.

Your life you live by the light you find
and follow it on as well as you can
carrying through the darkness wherever you go
your one little fire that will start again

-William Stafford

I read this for the first time the other day and immediatly fell in love with it. I've always liked Stafford's work, but this really got me. I have a friend who is dealing with some stuff right now and she's been losing faith. I showed it this and talked to her for a long time. I kept thinking about it after and realized I too have struggled with letting my "little fire" go out. But I also realized how easy it is to get it started again. With God as the lighter and by not letting yourself slip away and let it fire extinguish, it can turn into a wild forest fire..hypothetically, of course!

1 comment:

Russel_larson said...

yea we dont want any spontaneos combustions .. lol but yea that is a great poem and it hit me aswell