Sunday, January 11, 2009

Encounter '09

So I really don't know where to start. This weekend was utterly amazing. Every second was filled with God and everyone was just so great. I was pretty stoked to see Andrea, one of the staff members. We met in September on my jazz trip to homewood and we hit it off pretty good! The meals, as always, were delicious. Although this time, they weren't the best they've been. Except for one lunch..we had these meat sandwiches that were SOOOO GOOOOOD!! :P

Friday night we talked about being one of the few and the faithful. The sermons title was "Prelude to an Encounter". Christina basically said that when God calls you, you have to respond. Psalm 119:32 says "I run in the path of your sommans, for you have set my heart free". It was a great way to start the weekend. Everyone was attentive and excited to be there.

Saturday we got some time to just sit in the presence of God. As many of you know, I've lost 3 friends and my dog in the past year and a half. It's been really tough. I was just praying to God to give me some words.

I sit here surrounded by people
Yet I feel so alone.
My mind races with thoughts
Of how they could be gone.
The tears flow as I try to understand.
My body hurts from the pain
Of losing those close to me.
As I try to comprehend and stay strong,
My faith slipping and fading,
Your hand come down
And holds my heart.
Your words speak straight into me,
Telling me of your unending love.
I know they're with you now.
"They're Watching Over You", You say,
"As Am I".
I fall to my knees in priase
And ask forgiveness for doubting.
I thank you, for now I know,
You have always been there.

He also gave me a bible verse. When I read it, I was blown away.

Psalm 119:49
Remember your word to your servant,
for you have given me hope.
My comfort in my suffering is this:
Your promise preserves my life.


Saturday morning service was titled "The Transforming Encounter". Christina talked about Judas and Peter. A quote she told us was "Sin will take you further than you want to go. Keep you longer than you want to stay. Cost you more than you want to pay." We also talked a bit about the gifts of the Holy Spirit. Then Sandra got up and told us that there are 3 types of people. Those who know where they're going, but the devil keeps getting in the way, those who kinda know but aren't sure, and those who have no idea what they're called to do. She then got us to all sit and ask God what He wants us to do.

You call out to me

Tell me I'm special

Tell me I'm bigger than that

I want to be one of the few,

One of the faithful.

So I let go of it all

Distractions, hindrances, sin.

I lose what I don't need,

Pain, disappointment, neglect.

I gain what I deserve,

Love, happiness, commitment.

My life is restored in You.

Session #3 was called "A Transforming Encounter". This talk was based around the lessons learned from Mary in Luke 1: 26-37. 1) We are formed for a purpose. Ephesians 2:9 says "For we are God's masterpiece". 2) To accomplish all that God wanted to do through our life, we need the power of the Holy Spirit. Something Christina said that I loved was You can't be like comic book super heroes, but you can be like Jesus.

The final session was called "An Enduring Encounter". It was based on Psalm 101. Christina spoke about how when we're alone, and we think no one is watching, God is. Jeremiah 23:24 says "Can anyone hide in secret places so that I cannot see him?" declares the Lord. "Do not I fill heaven and earth?" declares the Lord. It's kinda like what my mom always tells me..if I'm doing something and I think "Would my mom be okay with this?" then obviously its not good. Its the same with God. If you think He would be upset, chances are He knows about it before you're done with that thought. The point is to do things that you know God would be proud of you for. "Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you." Matthew 6:4

Then of course there was the free time, meals, worship, bed times...it was an amazing weekend. Here's a few highlights:

  • Ryan Delblanc"helping" me up which ended with me on my back and snow down my pants
  • Unchewable meat on Sunday
  • I didn't burn myself on syrup OR fall in the water with my phone :D
  • Dylan and Cody wrestling (check out pictures on Facebook!)
  • Hanging out with lots of sweet people
  • Mattchew teaching me quitar (Good Cats and Dogs. Elvis Apples. Sharp Cats. Boots and more Apples!!)
  • Snuggling with my Wifey :D (aka Mandy)

You brought me here for a reason

This weekend was for you

How can I watch what happened

And not be amazed

You spoke through them

And they cried out in praise

Music playing in the background

New songs playing in their hearts

And the best part is

You're not done

This Encounter is not the last

1 comment:

Deb's Den said...

Hey Samantha. You have a gift and your blog touched my heart. I can see where God has shown Himself powerful in your life, even in the tough times He is there. He was a man of sorrows and He is aquainted with grief too. He knows just what you are going through and He is and will always be there with you as you grow through these trials. Stay focused on Him in the midst of the fire and He will bring you through. Take care and God bless, Debbie <><