Wednesday, May 20, 2009

For Jason

In English, I had to write a composition on someone who has helped me in my life. I wrote mine about Jason. Not sure if he remembers this day though..I didn't until I had to write this.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Write about an event that changed your life. As I was sitting in English 10, reading that question, my parents’ divorce popped into my head. I turned to my friend Alyssa and told her. We talked a bit about it and then I started writing. But before I could even finish one sentence, I heard some of the other girls talking.

“I’m so happy my parents are still together.”

“Yeah mine are too. We’re lucky. I wouldn’t be able to live without both my parents.”

“Mhm. And if my dad was an alcoholic? I would be so embarrassed.”

I could feel my eyes begin to burn as the tears started coming.

“Sam, are you okay?” said Alyssa. She was looking at me as she put her hand on my shoulder.

“Yeah…I’m fine. I’ll be alright.” I lied, voice cracking. I couldn’t take it anymore and I left the class. I didn’t want anyone to see me cry. I went down the stairs and outside. Thankfully it was a nice day. I sat down for a bit, trying to compose myself. Those girls’ words kept playing over and over again in my head. I wanted to talk to someone, but didn’t know who. Then Jason came to mind. I went back inside and called him. He answered right away.

“Hello?”

“Hey,” I said. “It’s Sam.”

“Oh hey! How’s it going?”

“Not too good actually. Stuff about my dad.”

“Awe I’m sorry Hun. Are you at school?”

“Yeah.”

“Okay, I’ll be there in ten minutes.”

I hung up and then went outside to wait. Just like he said, ten minutes later he was pulling up to the front of the school.

A little about Jason. He’s my Youth Pastor at church. He’s about six feet tall, dark hair, brown eyes and quite fit. I always bug him about his “protective layering” over his abs. He has a great sense of humor and a huge heart. I’ve known him since I was eight years old, when my parents got a divorce. He’s been like an older brother to me. His family was like my family. His dad called me “the daughter he never got” because they have three boys. Never once has Jay judged me. I’ve had many people come and go in my life, but he’s been one of the constants. I can always count on him to be there for me, whether I need some encouraging words or a hug or whatever. He’s the kind of guy who can make me laugh when I don’t even want to smile. It’s quite annoying sometimes! But honestly, I don’t know what I’d do without him. He was there when Olivia died, arms open. He was the first person I told when Eric died. He was there when I found out Zachary had died. He’s always so willing to do anything for me and it’s such a great comfort knowing that.

“Hey thanks for coming,” I said, as I got into the car.

“No problem,” he said, starting the car. “Where should we go?”

“Doesn’t matter to me.”

We ended up going to a little café in Comox and then went to the marina. We talked about different things like school and youth group. We didn’t talk about my dad until we were sitting down.

“So, tell me what happened.”

I was crying before I could finish. I didn’t just tell him about English class, I told him about everything that had been going on lately. Things like drama with family and friends, struggling in some of my classes, fighting with myself and missing my dad but hating him at the same time. I was holding it all in and it was building up inside to the point where I felt like I was going to explode. When I was done, before he said anything, Jason stood up, pulled me to my feet and gave me a huge hug. Which, of course, made me cry more, but it helped. After a few minutes, we sat back down.


“There isn’t a lot I can say,” he said. “Except you need to trust in God and know that He has a plan and there are good reasons why all these things have happened to you. You’re still young and you’re going to face more trials throughout your life, but you will get through it all. And I will be right beside you, lending you my hand. I’m not going anywhere. I’ve watched you grow for years and I am so proud of you. You have such strength and faith and I love being part of your life.” He put his arm around me and smiled. And at that moment, as we sat there, I felt this sense of comfort. I believed Jay and knew that everything was going to be okay.


Since that day, things have happened to me that have rocked my life, in good ways and bad ways. I’ve lost a friend to cancer. I’ve lost a friend to a drug overdose. I’ve lost a friend to a car accident. We had to put my dog down. I’ve continued to miss my dad. I’ve fought with my friends. I’ve fought with my family. I’ve struggled with my faith and my self-confidence. But I’ve also made new friends. I’ve had so many great times with my family. I’ve gotten new family members. I created an organization to raise money for cancer research and have already raised over $1300. I went to Mexico over spring break on a Missions Trip, got my passport stolen, got a sunburn, played with some kids, painted some stuff, and had a great time. I got through my high school years and am graduating in less than two weeks. And through it all, Jay has been there just like he said he would be. He has been my crutch through the hard times and danced with me in the good times. Before he was my youth pastor, he was a friend, a brother. And even now, he’s not just my mentor. He’s not just my youth pastor. He’s still my friend and he’s still my brother. I am so lucky to have someone like him in my life. He’s been there for me when I wanted to completely give up. Sometimes I just think of him as another person in my life. But he’s more than that. He saved my life. He’s my angel without wings.



"You were the one who made things different; you were the one who took me in. You were the one thing I could count on; above all, you were my friend."
- Tom Petty

1 comment:

Libby said...

hey,

I really like your blog!! I'm libby, and it must be hard for you to go through that...

although it's never happened to me, I'm writing a book about a girl and her parents divorce. i thought i didn't know at first how chloe (the charactor) would feel, but your story is what chloe goes through in th books.

thats was well written too. =D It's great you have someone there for you :):)

praying,
Libby
xox