Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Pit Stop.

I have some time between classes, so I decided to do a new post, since I haven't in close to a month!

So far, 2010 has been a pretty good year. School started again and it's been alright up to this point. Haven't done a lot of assignments yet, but I have quite a few on the way. I really like my classes. This semester our program was split, so instead of having 25 people in my class, I now have 15. We got some new people as well so it's been really cool getting to know them. In a couple of my classes, we sit in a circle instead of at desks and I find that so much better because I can see everyone and it just makes the whole atmosphere comfortable. We have some really great discussions and I love learning all the stuff I'm learning. I have an interviewing skills class, which I didn't think I would like at first, but I LOVE it! My other classes are Ethics in Social Work, Psychology, Social Welfare in Canada, Foundation of Social Work, and my practicum.

My practicum! I'm doing my second practicum at Wachiay Friendship Centre in the Homeless Outreach Program with Miranda Blomquist. I've gone 3 times now and I'm loving it! And I love it for multiple reasons. One, its different everyday so I'm never really doing the same thing all the time. Two, it's getting me closer to what I really wanna do, which is work in a woman's shelter. Three, it's just so much fun and Miranda is great to work with, as well as the other people who work at Wachiay.
I get to work with homeless people, as well as people who are just struggling to keep their homes. I've met some really inspiring people so far. One guy, Gabriel, is awesome! He's in his twenty's and he's just gotten a place to live. I got to meet him on my first and second days. He's got a great sense of humour and is really sweet. It's amazing because if I had just seen him on the street, I probably wouldn't have given him a second look. But now that I know him, I see what a great person he is even with his disabilities.

Well, I gotta head to class soon. So I will end my post for now, and hopefully I'll be back on before another month has gone by!

I hope everyone is having a great week so far and that all is well!!
I will leave you with a random quote.

It is believed that Shakespeare was 46 around the time that the King James Version of the Bible was written. In Psalms 46, the 46th word from the first word is shake and the 46th word from the last word is spear.

Cool eh?

No comments: